As goes the life in China, I hope this post can do it justice.
Friday night we went to a party with our friend Will. The party was an "invite only" to celebrate a new web site launch, and its theme was, wait for it..."Autumn Crimson." Well, we heard "free cognac" and decided to go and test the waters. We trendied ourselves up to try to fit in with what we assumed would be an artsy, yopo, pretentious crowd. Keep in mind that our version of trendy meant wearing black heels and some shiny jewelry. We arrive to a man with gelled hair and a bow tie welcoming us with, "Good evening, how do you do?" So I'm thinking, nothing can beat this guy. WRONG. We walk inside only to see a woman that looked like she was straight out of a 14th century opera screaming what I think was supposed to be music. Then, you know that feeling when you think you're being looked at? Well, we got it...X200. But if there's one thing that makes being stared at OK, it's when the crowd staring at you is even more interesting to stare back at. MAN, everyone was straight out of GQ gone Chinese. My personal favorite was the girl with the leaf ensemble in her hair. A close second would be the people that made up the dance floor. Now I know that although I wear a leotard to work and teach children through the art of dance, I am no dance master, BUT I do know that rigid, awkward, robotic movements make you look silly. So frequently throughout the night, Kelly and I would give each other snotty looks or put our pinkie up when we drank, so that we would blend in better. I'm sure, per usual, we blended in perfectly.
Yet another silly night in China!
No comments:
Post a Comment