I would like to take a moment and look at my life and compare it to the past -- even just six months ago I would have been in the quaint wonderful town of Chapel Hill with all of my closest friends and Tar Heels. On a typical Thursday night I would probably have had some kind of IM game, then hit up the Library from 9-11, and then probably frequent Bubs just in time for "the song" at midnight and a few games of pool or a turn at karaoke. On a typical Friday night I would work at Bonne Soiree, end the work night with a glass of fine wine, and then hit up Topo and have the beloved Old Well White. I would then end these nights with a toss up of either cheesy, greasy, tasty Pokey Stix or my oh-so-favorite Bski, the AKski, ie: wings in a wrap. And then maybe a late night hang out back at the good-ole "Nunnery."
NOW, fast forward to the present...
Last Friday we went to a fashion/art gallery party inside a trendy store called Source. The party had a Chinese girl rock band, surrounded by art that I can't even pretend to begin to understand. Everyone looked trendy and hip...I wore the trendiest outfit I could throw together and still couldn't compare. The party had free drinks (Stella Artois, what what) & CHEESE (luxury item over here). I went around asking my friends how the art pieces made them feel...because that's what you do at trendy art/fashion parties, right?
Last night I went to one of the "hipest rock clubs in Beijing" called The One Club. I entered on a red carpet to the invitation-only Ray Bans promo event. The club had three really popular Chinese rock bands, which spawned the crowd into a mosh pit and crowd surfing (oh, and the occasional mombo train around the venue). One of the songs they sang was a rock version of "You are my Sunshine," and contrary to what you might be thinking, it was actually really good, and of course, silly. Ray Bans had exhibits and montages playing...which I hate to admit, the advertising totally worked on me. We also enjoyed free drinks and hors d'oeuvres throughout the night. And to top the night off, I got a free Ray Bans duffle bag.
Whattttttttttttttttttt!?!?!?
I sure do miss CH, and my lovely friends back home...but I sure cannot complain about life over here in Beijing.
Did "You are my sunshine" bring back any happy memories of Happy Hippo? :) You will always be the sunshine of our life!! Mom
ReplyDelete