When you give your kid an English name, please don't make it even harder for me to say than their Chinese name. "Quan Quan" is NOT an English name. Neither is Wen Wen or Hong Yi, although those are at least much easier to pronounce.
Sincerely,
The English-speaking world.
So in China most people that learn English have a Chinese name and an English name. Sometimes they really miss the point of this like I explained above, but other times its really nice to be able to say may own students' names (much less remember them). Usually it's a name that no one actually names their kids anymore...for example, some of my favorite kids are Albert, Bruno, Nancy, and Debbie. It's pretty funny to meet a silly 2-year-old with a classy name like Albert.
Anyway, Kristen and I have already been asked multiple times to give someone an English name. It may be just their English name, but that name sticks with them every time they speak English to someone. That kid is going to grow up responding to Albert. And let me tell you, this kid rocks that name. Be on the lookout for more and more Alberts in the world after him.
Ok back to names. A few of our Chinese coworkers have asked us to name them, and we may have named one after the Italian restaurant we love so much. Now every time I talk to Annie I picture delicious penne with arrabiata sauce :)
We tried to name them after some of our friends back at home but they can't pronounce a lot of our names (So no Bon qui qui, LaTisha, or Cornbreesha...sad, I know). We need some more suggestions for English names, so leave us some good ones!
You named a child Olive Garden?
ReplyDelete