Saturday, April 2, 2011

A concert gone Chinese..

Last night I went to a performance at the Water Cube to watch some of our competitive swimmers, synchronized swimmers and divers perform. Their performance went along with four really popular Chinese singers. The crowd was going nuts and totally buying into what was clearly sappy love songs, sung by singers in shimmery, glittery, terrible u-gly clothing. Something I never thought about that was pretty funny was you know how in America at concerts people will hold up posters with the singer's name written in marker, or something like that -- well here, they hold up one Chinese character in neon lighting that glows in the dark. Tomato, tomato? And of course throughout the whole performance there was fog smoke, flashing lights (often in the shapes of flowers and hearts) and confetti. At the beginning the divers did their competitive dives - with perfect formation and synchronization, but then they started doing really crazy stuff like jumping off the high board off of someone else's shoulders and being thrown off but landing in a perfect swan dive. It was pretty cool!

Funny moments with one of the other teachers:

Me: So what sports do you play?
Jason: I play basketball. But I also like to watch, um what it called, playing NASCAR?

Me: Do you watch the CBA?
Jason: No.
Me: Do you watch American basketball?
Jason: No, I watch the NBA.
Me: Um....ok, well what players do you like?
Jason: Ahh Kobe!
Me: Yeaaa, of course you do.
Jason: Yea, she is like a god!

1 comment: