It started off with just wanting to spend a year after college traveling and experiencing a new culture. Now I have a passion for China and its people.
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Cha lesson
I went tea shopping the other day with my friend. I thought it would take max 15 minutes, but boy was it an experience! We were there for at least two hours trying different teas and chatting with the woman who owned the shop, which doubles up as her home. I didn't realize how much tradition is associated with tea. There were these little frog statues everywhere that you pour the tea and water on, and you even put coin money on its back, for good luck? Then there is this whole contraption that sits on the table, so that you can pour the water directly on the table and it drains out. And on top of that there are tons of little tea pouring contraptions that I didn't know existed. I feel super Chinesey now that I have my own tea and tea cup thing (OK, still don't know proper terms). Then there are tons of rules about tea like if the tea is a young leaf then you can't pour scolding hot water on it. You also have to pour out the first batch because it essentially washes the tea leaves. There are different levels of caffiene in the tea leaves, green has little to none, then red, then black. Usually tea, at least good tea, can make about five cups, but you have to drink it all in one day because the leaves will dry up - oops. Well, that's all I got. Hope we're all a shmidget smarter on Chinese tea now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment