Monday, May 9, 2011

little things

Lately I've been noticing, or rather, appreciating all of the little things here in Beijing.

--Souped up bikes that resemble wannabe Harleys. (Imagine taking a bike that fits a 10-year-old, taking off the training wheels, adding a motor...and putting a man in a suit on it, and then trying to take him seriously).

--The funny things people carry on their bikes, and not just in the basket, but on the back pedal stool, which is about 6 inches from the ground (ie: dirt, and all of the street nastiness). The most recent thing I saw was huge bags of raw chicken.

--Anywhere is an acceptable place to sleep. This includes at work behind the cash register, in a wagon on the street, or on my shoulder on the subway..
.
--My old lady, fruit lady and vegetable lady. Today my fruit lady knew I couldn't understand what she was saying and thought that perhaps if she wrote it down in Chinese characters that then I might understand. What!? And my old lady carefully and dramatically steps over the door frame every time I come over, to make fun of me for the time I busted.

--When I take pictures of people's "dogs" and they actually think it's because I think the "dog" is cute. bahaha.

--The community residence center right outside my window, and the singing that ensues every morning. Don't know what they're saying, but it sounds nice, and very Chinesey.

--The early morning/late night activities in the park: Chinese yo-yo-ing, tai-chi, roller blading, mi hu (the cute dog of the neighborhood), flying kites (with huge dragons on them), ribbon dancing, ballroom dancing, etc.

--The insanely fit old people - wow!! Although, I don't love it when the pass me on their bike.

--Riding side-saddle on my friend's bike on the side of a major highway. Speaking of highways, saw a horse drawn cart in the middle of one of the biggest highways a few weeks ago. The 'driver' had a whip and all.

--Yelling for the waiter. Really is the most efficient way to do things.

I'll stop for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment