Friday, September 17, 2010

Kelly's Weekend at the Kid & Baby Convention/Rugrats Convention

This weekend, Kristen and I were needed at this event. Apparently there are no words that translate to what it was, because no amount of questioning our bosses could get us a straight answer as to what we were going to be doing. So Kristen was to go Saturday, and I was supposed to go Sunday. (Side note- I taught my first REAL classes Saturday, and they actually went really well! I didn't even make the kids cry this time!)

Annnnyways, I get sent to the event to help Kristen out, and holy crap SENSORY OVERLOAD does not even do it justice. There are people and colors and noises and weird mascot costumes everywhere. I see poor Kristen, who in the 3 hours she has been there, has given about 10 demos to groups of 10-15 yelling kids and their parents.


My turn! Awesome, I think the 1-year-old children in front of me will really learn a lot from me singing at them (and if you know me, you no I am not exactly the next American Idol).

So I do a few demos, Kristen does a few more, and after what seems like for-freakin-ever we get to leave, tired, voiceless, and wondering what we've gotten ourselves into. Next day, I go back to this thing and my boss wants me to do all the demos all day. Nooooooooooooooooooo! Anything but that, please! I do my first one, and obviously have no voice after I have yelled and sung the entire day before. Luckily, I met David.

David has to be the silliest person I have met in this country so far (and is saying something). David is a Chinese guy who I'm told is an English teacher and works at my company (although I've never seen him). He is wearing a bright red collared shirt with a dragon, which is grossly overshadowed by the intense highlighter-green overall looking things, which I can only describe as similar to ski bibs. This getup is awkwardly tight and just barely goes past the knees. Not to mention that the place was incredibly hot. Here's David in action:





So luckily David springs into action and takes over for me. Words could not describe this..um, "performance". But I'll try - He is like The Wiggles meets Richard Simmons. I mean, this guy is jumping around in his little green suit making noises at a pitch no grown man should ever be able to hit, singing, tickling, everything. David is awesome.

So lunch comes, and what a great conversation. David is the only other person who speaks English, so we chat over unidentifiable meat&rice.

Highlights of lunch:
David: What do you think of my clothes?
Me: Crazy! Very silly.
D: This fat girl clothes!
Me: ....I'm sorry?!
D: I buy this (green jumpsuit) at store for girls who want to lose weight. It make you sweat so much you lose lots and lots of weight!

D: So do you have Asian boyfriend?"
Me: NO.
D: You no like Asian men?
Me: Of course that's not it! (But really what I meant was: Come on, David, you're wearing fat girl clothes and scaring children. You maaay not be my type.)


So after all that, the rest of the day just seemed normal. You know, being the only white person in about a thousand Chinese people, being gawked at while I assist the Davinator.
More pictures of the silliest day ever:





Still more silly stories to post, but that's all for now! Maybe later we'll post about our first Chinese birthday party. Zaijian!

1 comment:

  1. Bahahah I wonder if the weight loss jumpsuits will make their way to the States?

    ReplyDelete